Total Pageviews

Friday, December 02, 2011

Santa, Do You Remember Me?

Dear Santa Claus,


You probably don't remember me because, well I haven't believed in you since I was a kid. But, here goes nothing. 


My name is SSgt Mj Smith* and I'm 21yrs old. I am currently stationed in this god-forsaken desert country somewhere. I've never really been this far away from home before. I thought I would be rotated home for the holidays but unfortunately, that isn't going to happen. 


I'm really not sure what they are going to do for us guys over here, but I'm sure it won't be anything as good as Grandma's apple pie and Mom's homemade sugar cookies. The food here isn't bad per say, but I'd much rather be sitting at home eating with my brothers and sisters. 


What do I want for Christmas? Well, first I would ask for this fucking war to end. I'd ask for the nightmares to go away, for all my friends to stop dying around me. Most of all Santa, I'd like to come home in one piece. 


I love being a Soldier, don't get me wrong Santa, but when I signed up I didn't really understand just how hard it is. I didn't know that I would look forward to phone calls at 3am from home because it's daytime there. I didn't know that I would have to stare in the face of my best friend and watch him die while I laid helpless beside him. I never knew there was so much damn hatred in the world and that people could be so inherently cruel to one another. Most of all, I never knew how much I would miss myself. 


It's so hard to find reasons to smile or to laugh anymore Santa. Couldn't you find it in your compressed time frame and stop by here. I don't need much. A candy cane and maybe some chocolate and a phone card. OK lots and lots of phone cards. I believe in you Santa. I have to. If I don't believe in you, I won't believe in anything.


You are everything that is good and pure and wonderful on this earth. That is worth believing in. That is worth me fighting for and that is worth me dying for if that is my destiny. (kinda don't want that last one though)


So, Santa, if you can make it, please stop by Christmas Eve. Me and the guys here will do our best to make sure you land safely with the Reindeer (on the sand though the tents suck for supporting the sleigh). 


Thank you Santa, for letting me ramble on. 




Yours ever so truly,


SSGT Mj Smith 




p.s. If it isn't too much trouble, I could really use The Vampire Diaries on Blu-Ray and Lost Girl.  












*name and story are purely fictional and not to be confused with anyone dead or living*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog. Feel free to drop me a note to say how you liked my work. Please remember that foul language is not appropriate.